We represent public utilities and non-utility participants in a broad range of state regulatory proceedings. Clients benefit from our deep understanding of the natural gas, electric, communications and water industries and we have handled nearly every type of state regulatory proceeding, including:
- Approvals related to utility mergers and acquisitions
- Due diligence assessments for purchasers of utility assets
- Traditional rate proceedings
- Alternative forms of regulation and ratemaking mechanisms
- Management audits and investigations
- Rulemaking proceedings
- Service quality investigations
- Approvals related to certificates of public convenience and necessity
- Gas safety investigations
- Pole attachment issues
- Authorizations for competitive service market entrants
- Competitive supplier compliance investigations
We are steeped in the public policies upon which public utility regulation are based. Our depth of knowledge and experience with a wide variety of matters enable us to map out effective strategies, particularly when the client needs an innovative regulatory solution. Many lawyers are capable of handling routine regulatory filings and proceedings. We excel when new ground must be broken.
Our approach is straightforward. We work to find consensus among stakeholders and resolve adjudicatory matters by agreement when possible. At the same time, we ensure that the case has been properly prepared for hearing and have a well-earned reputation for our ability to skillfully cross-examine adverse witnesses in the hearing room when a case must be tried before a panel of commissioners.